Legal throughout the US and most other countries, the folding knife remains one of the most accessible and effective physical protection tools available.Your knowledge of carry, access and usage of a folding knife in emergency situations may determine the difference between survival and failure.
- Course Length: 1 Days (8hours)
- Facilities: PowerPoint – no mats needed
- Prerequisites: None
- Weapons: None
- Prior Training: None
- Requirements: Must be over 18 years of age with a valid ID (driver’s license)
- What to expect:Brief lecture, demonstration, practical familiarization exercises (mostly hands-on), information-based training and medium physical activity.
The sheer volume of folding knives on the market today can be overwhelming to make a selection. How do you know which is the best one for you? Will it be carried only for opening letters and boxes and used solely for such utility purposes or might it serve the dual purpose as a weapon of opportunity if ever needed in self-defense? If so, then what features should you look for? What blade length, style, shape, grind? What type of locking mechanism? What handle materials? Should you have serrations or no serrations? What about automatics, semi-automatics and the myriad assisted opening styles? Which is the very best for what you need and why?
Once you’ve made your selection, then how and where should it be carried? What about clip position and accessibility? If you needed to get to your blade and deploy it (pull it out of your pocket and make it ready) in a hurry, then what’s the most effective method? How should you hold a folding knife in your hand if you need it in self-defense? Once the blade is in my hand and ready to use, then how exactly do I use it? What should I do? What is someone else has a knife and attacking me with it and I have nothing in my hands, what can I do to defend myself in that situation? If you’ve ever had the desire to know the answers to any or all of these questions then this course is specifically designed for you.
*** NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED ***
Starting with the answers to these question this course moves at a rapid pace presenting the very basics of carry, access and rapid deployment of the folding blade. Following a detailed study in grips, stances and operation, training then progresses to how to keep a single and even multiple attackers at bay (a safe distance away from you and your loved ones) affording you the time and opportunity to move out of harm’s way and toward safety. What are the seven lethal strike zones subjected to an edged weapon attack on the human body? Learn what these are and how to defend against them with your bare hands. At the end of this course you will walk away with everything you will ever need to know about a folding knife, how it works and how to use it in self-defense.
KEY TOPICS COVERED
- Folding Blade Selection – What to look for, how to exactly fit your hands and carry position(s).
- Safe Handling – Learn how to open, close and safely manipulate a razor sharp knife blade in self-defense while under duress.
- Blade Disarming – Learn what to do if someone attacked you with a knife.
- Angles & Distance Risk Metrics – Know how to control your range, position and how to reduce your risk profile in the event of an edged weapon engagement.
- Leveraging Blade Mechanics – Gain the advantage of having the training and skills of using a folding knife against single and multiple determined adversaries.
- Wound Analysis & Effects – What are the determining effects of a folding knife?
- Target & Defensive Anatomy – Walk away from this training armed with the skills and ability to defend yourself and your loved ones knowing exactly what to look for and what to do with your folding knife.
What to Bring:Your folding knife. Two are recommended for comparison. Wear any comfortable attire but not sweatpants – what you normally wear. Notebooks (or notepads) are very welcome. Still photos and limited video OK.
This is fun and easy-to-learn! You walk away with a tremendous amount of EXTREMELY valuable and useful information with light physical effort.