What if someone attacked you with an edged weapon?
- Course Length: 2 Days (16hours)
- Facilities: PowerPoint – no mats needed
- Prerequisites: None
- Weapons: None
- Prior Training: None
- Requirements: Must be at least 18 years of age with a valid ID (driver’s license)
- What to expect: Brief lecture, demonstration, practical familiarization exercises (mostly hands-on), information-based training and medium physical activity.
There is no prerequisite for this course. Instruction includes: the advantages & disadvantages of fixed/ folding and straight/ curved blades, safe handling procedures, unarmed defense against edged weapons, disarming techniques, distance/ injury risk metrics, leverage & blade mechanics, wound analysis & effects, target & defensive anatomy.Day one focuses on the fundamentals of fixed and folding straight edge. Day two of training focuses more on advanced defensive tactics and an introductory on the usage of the curved blade (Karambit).
- Blade Identification – What is the difference between a fixed blade and a folding blade? What’s the difference in usage of a serrated edge versus a non-serrated edge? What are the characteristics that differentiate specific usage of a straight edge from a curved blade?
- Knife Selection – What should I look for when purchasing a folding knife? How exactly do you measure your hand and know that it is a perfect fit? What’s the right knife for me? How much should I spend? What are the best types of materials, blade length, type, steel, handle materials, for me?
- Grips, Stances and Operation – Learn the most effective method of gripping and optimal defensive positioning with any edged weapon.
- Edged Weapon Defense – Learn the six easiest and most effective ways to utilize an edged weapon in self-defense while under duress.
- Empty Hand Defense – Learn the seven lethal strike zones on the human body and how can you defend against them even if you don’t have a knife in your hand.
- Disarming – Competently demonstrate knowledge of disarming an attacker wielding an edged weapon at extreme close quarters and under duress.
- Curved Blade (Karambit) – Introduction to safety and defensive use of this uniquely designed knife.
This is NOT martial arts –this IS a professional hands-on practical approach to doing what it takes to get yourself and your loved ones out of trouble and immediately to safety. Applicable at home, work and when traveling this is an opportunity for you to take home field-tested “bread and butter” techniques, sustainment drills and proven tactics gleaned from the professionals.
What to Bring: Your folding knife and/ or fixed blade. Do not bring a training knife as these will be provided for you. Also, wear what you normally wear. Notebooks (or notepads) are very welcome. Still photos and limited video OK.
This is fun and easy to learn! You walk away with a tremendous amount of EXTREMELY valuable and useful information with minimal physical effort.
All training materials provided.
If you are a CCW (carry concealed weapon(s)) permit holder, it is strongly recommended that you train with a replica/ facsimile of your handgun as part of this course. Bring a (blue/ red/ inert) training gun with matching holster in the carry position you normally carry (IWB, OWB, etc.,). Remember that you will react in the way you were trained so the very best value for your dollar is to train the way you regularly carry.